How to create interest on your art journal cover…
The products that I used 😉 :
(NOTE: the WOW products are affiliate links, but you can SAVE 10% on them using the code ‘WOWDTNB’.
When is it the right time?
This is a question that I have asked myself more often than maybe any other question during my adult life.
“Should I do it now?”
“Do I wait?”
“If so, what am I waiting for?”
This last time, I was planning on waiting. I was actually going to wait until the Fall. Like maybe October/November or 2021.
Then the fabulous reviews started coming in! I was sooo excited from all the happy feedback that I was receiving and the comments that were being posted online.
“Maybe, I should ‘ride this wave’ of positivity and do it now?!”
I thought about it for about two days. It felt like I was thinking about it non-stop.
“Okay, let’s do it this month!”, I had decided.
I prepped my pages, I created visual imagery, … I LAUNCHED my second Crowdfunder….
… and it was quiet, very quiet.
“What did I do wrong?”
“The reviews have been so great! I don’t understand. Why is no-one backing me?”
These thoughts have run through my head now for days.
I have placed my paid advertisements on facebook, Instagram, etc.
Then all of a sudden, my thoughts clear.
“I did not build momentum! I did not offer FREE shipping! (even though it placed me in the negative financially last time).”
So, now I am thinking…… “What can I do to make this a success?”
I have taken a few private wholesale orders now that will cover the next print orders costs, but the campaigns may end up showing as a fail.
“Fail?!, but in reality, I am not failing. I have a total order of 25+ tutorial book and 20+ art journal books on order as I type this.” (for this second print run)
As an FYI, I actually added the KICKSTARTER campaign , as that platform lets people search for what they may want to back, where as CROWDFUND does not. On CROWDFUND people only see your campaign if they have followed your link to there.
I naively thought that KICKSTARTER would be easier…lol. The things we learn by doing, right?
I have been sent private messages from people letting me know that they plan on ordering, but are just waiting for their next pay check. “I hear you, I completely understand & I thank you from the bottom of my heart.”
This ‘new normal’ (for lack of a better phrase) is a HUGE learning curve.
Because of not being able to be contracted out for my ‘regular’ teaching jobs and then having to leave my retail job in Spring of 2020 due to my choice of being able to have my MOM in our small family bubble or having her not be able to see ANY family for well over a year…. I have not had any Government funding (CERB) in almost a year.
This is not me complaining or saying that I want any of you to financially support me. This is me stating that I am working by butt off trying to find my new rhythm while also being able to pay the bills. I am trying to find my BALANCE and, truth be told, it is a struggle.
I am STUBBORN, I am a GEMINI, & I am POSITIVE that I am on the right track!
I am not giving up, I will not give up! This ‘feels’ right! This makes my heart & soul sing!
This I am doing both for myself and for you.
If you have read my BLOG this far and just do not have the financial means to support me, I hear you.
Can I ASK You a tiny favour then? Can you please SHARE my campaigns in whatever way you can?
THANK YOU from my creative soul to yours!
Hello my fellow creatives!
They are QUICK and a lot of FUN to watch!
I decided that I would try a new way in sharing my creations on social media and it has been a little challenging for this Generation X Artist…. to say the least…. ha ha.
On my first attempt, I ran out of time and could not show what the final art piece looked like…lol. So, I tried to edit it in TikTok and I might have made it even worse 😂 .
Here is my first one for your viewing pleasure (after I tried to ‘fix’ the editing on TikTok):
I am determined that I can do this 👍
My second attempt was just to film as a time-lapse video and post it to Instagram REELS.
I have created 6 all together at the time that I am writing this blog post.
This one, I was not thinking about how I could use it for promotions. It was created after I lost one of my Art journaling friends. Therefore it turned out the BEST… I think 🙂 .
I am getting a wee bit better as I continue practicing my step-by-step quick tutorial versions for you & I hope you will try and make a few as well.
I did chat with a couple of my fellow WOW! Design Team members for help (Daniel Diaz & Katka Dachovska) & theyare quite good at their 📹 REELS, if you want to take a peak at their Instagram.😉😊
Below are some helpful steps that I have learned from talking to them and from my own trial & error. I thought that they may be helpful to a few of you creatives as well & therefore decided to share them here with you.
I will keep practicing and improving.
HOW TO CREATE A step-by-step INSTAGRAM REEL:
Happy REELS Everyone!
Keep smiling & creating, Nicci
To celebrate, here is a FREE digital download for you all to get your creative juices flowing as you prepare for your journey down the rabbit hole!
Happy Un-Birthday my friends!
Check out my new product launch and SHARE it with your family and friends that may be interested.
STAY TUNED for further details on my upcoming ART ADVENTURES WITH ALICE online course.
Wishing you all a happy, healthy and safe Spring.
Keep smiling and creating, Nicci
Have you ever thought about creating a mini mixed media gallery of either your loved ones or tiny art pieces?
Well, I did, and I would LOVE to share my process with you!
This time, I thought I would let the video show you all of the steps.
I think that this process would be a fun way to showcase a loved one or a piece of art in a over-the-top ornate frame!
Wouldn’t these make the CUTEST birthday or even WEDDING CARDS!
Think about all the great ideas!
Baby Announcements even!
Oh my GOSH! The list can just go on!
All of the fabulous WOW! products that I used in this video are listed within the video itself. That way you can see them in action and make note of them when they catch your eye 😉 .
If there are any that catch your eye, you can use the DISCOUNT CODE ‘WOWDTNB’ to SAVE 10%.
Affiliate SHOP links:
USA WoW! online store: https://www.wowembossingpowderusa.com/?aff=11
UK WoW! online store: https://www.wowembossingpowder.co.uk?aff=11
I hope you enjoyed today’s adventure and that I helped inspire some creativity!Keep smiling & creating, Nicci
2021 Spring | Summer Coffee Lovers Blog Hop
Have you ever had an ART IDEA come to you in the middle of the night?
Alice’s WAKE UP JUICE (aka coffee) popped into my brain and literally woke me up 2 nights ago.
A slider, yes A SLIDER for her eyes!
That is what I must attempt to create for this next blog post.
For this project you will need your mixed media journal (or card) plus 2-3 extra pieces of white card stock, exacto blade (use carefully), scissors, under-sketch pencil, permanent black ink pens, watercolours, paint brush, double sided tape, foam glue dots, heat tool, sparkles and embossing powders.
(1) On one of your extra pieces of cardstock, sketch and paint in a face. Make sure that you draw the eyes in larger than normal and do not add any eyelashes to the top lid.
(2) Place your cutting pad underneath your character (I did Alice). Using your exacto blade, cut out the eyes.
(3) On a separate piece of white card stock paper, I want you to place your character overtop and then trace two sets of eye holes, side by side. NOTE: Make sure that this ‘eye’ strip is no wider that the width of the art journal page that you will be using.
(4) On one set of eyes, draw the eyelids very low to create a ‘sleepy’ look. On the other set of eyes, omit the eyelids all together and draw large iris’ with very large pupils inside. Use the same colour palette when painting in the eyes. Don’t forget to leave some white spaces to mimic light reflections.
(5) On a blank page in your journal, place (do not attach it yet) your character near the outer edge. Trace one set of eyes. Remove the character face. Trace a one small rectangle around the both black eyes on your journal page. Using your exacto blade, cut out the rectangle.
(6) You can now cut out your painted eyes into a long strip of paper. Make sure that the hight of the strip is a little higher & lower than that of the opening on your journal page.
(7) Before we attach our character we want to add any embellishments we desire. I chose to add these two blue WOW! Embossing Powders to Alice’s bow and eyes with the WOW! Embossing Pen. (Pen #WV04, Totally Teal #WS44R9(OM) & Something Borrowed #WS201R(T)
(8) On Alice’s SLEEPY eyes I coated the whole eye in ‘Clear Matt Dull’ #WAD2R(T). For her wide awake/alert eyes, I coated them in ‘Clear Gloss Regular #WA01R(T).
(9) It is time to attached our Alice portrait to our journal page overtop of the rectangle that you cut out. Make sure that you do not see any of the cut edge through Alice’s eye sockets. In my creative mind, I visualized this journal page as a wall in a home with a variety of photos/art in frames for viewing pleasure 😉 . I used double sided SOOKWANG tape to attach Alice to my page. Do keep in mind, that you do not want any tape in areas that the eye slider will pass beneath.
(10) Test out the placement of your eye strip on the next journal page (do not attach anything yet). Place your eye strip down, go back one page and see how the eyes line up with Alice. If you are happy with the placement, go back to the second page and begin adding your foam glue dots (do not peel the back paper off yet). Keep checking on and testing your strips movement as you place the glue foam dots. I have then placed just to the side of the strip. They are not attached to the strip itself.
(11) A NOW or LATER step: Once you are happy with the placement of your glue foam dots and your strip moves smoothly, you can go ahead and place strips of double sided tape along the remainder of the second pages exterior edges. Peal of the paper backings and attach your second page to the back of the first journal page. NOTE: I actually saved this as my VERY LAST STEP in creating this page. Feel free to SKIP this step for now and come back to it later.
(12) Create two or three more picture frames on your page. For one of my frames I wanted to test out my WOW! Sparkles ‘Gold Rush’ #SPRK032. It has these fabulous little stars! I used my double sided tape to create a box frame, poured GOLD RUSH over top and brushed off the excess. For my second frame I used my WOW! Embossing Pen and scribbled an oval with flower loops on the outside and then embossed it with ‘Totally Teal’.
(13) I used the same pen to write out a quote that I found on Pinterest (Author unknown) and then embossed it with ‘Metallic Gold Rich Regular’ #WC04R(O). “May your COFFEE kick in before REALITY does.”
(14) I added some black fine-liner waterproof scribbles, caffeinated characters and more layers of watercolour. I even added in her eyelashes, while making sure that they worked well for both sets of eyes.
(15) I felt like the page still required more colour contrast, so I decided to add some outer frames lines with an Stabilo All Pencil (8046 Black) and then activated it with my water brush. I did have a moment where I was afraid that I had taken it too far, but once the page dried, I really liked the look of it.
I really like how this page turned out. It has sparked some new ideas, so I might try it again soon with a more appealing layout. Plus, I think it would be funnier to have the eyes in opposite order. Have her look sleepy until you pull the tab for the slider 🙂 .
To be inspired by other members of our WOW! Creative Team of 2021 in this BLOG HOP, please check out the following BLOG POST: CLICK HERE
Affiliate links to purchase WOW! products:
USA WoW! online store: https://www.wowembossingpowderusa.com/?aff=11
UK WoW! online store: https://www.wowembossingpowder.co.uk?aff=11
Are you like me? I made this GREAT embossing powder swatch chart at the end of last year to be glanced at for selecting which powders I want to use on a product. I love my chart! The only catch is that once I have selected from my chart, I have to search in my drawer to find the jar of powder that matches my choice…lol.
Sometimes it feels like I am hunting for Waldo… ha ha ha.
Well, I thought I should FIX that!
Let’s create some JOY in our art & craft spaces.
Today, I am creating colour swatch labels to attach onto the top of my jar lids. Below I just have a few easy steps for you to follow and then you will may find yourself even just glancing at your collection for some visual JOY! lol.
WHAT YOU NEED: You only require a few supplies to create your very own swatch labels. One or two sheets of smooth card stock in white and in black, double sided tape, clear drying craft glue, 2 different sized hole punches (these are optional, as you can always hand cut white circles and then smaller stripes or squares of black card stock), scissors, tweezers, small stamping block, a small stamp that fits your pieces of white card stock, WOW! embossing pad & your WOW! heating tool. NOTE: The circle hole punch sizes that I used are 5/8 inch and 1 inch.
1. Count your WOW! jars to see how many labels you need to create. TIP: It is always good to make extras to keep on hand for when you add some more colours to your collection.
2. Once you have cut out all of your white and black cardstock, you can begin gluing them together. One black piece attached to one white piece (watch the video above for visual references). Let them dry. TIP: If you have many labels to create, the production will go faster, if you treat it as though it were an assembly line. For example, cut out all of you pieces, then glue your pieces together, then cut all of your double sided tape pieces and attach them to the jar lids… and so on.3. Load your chosen stamp with embossing fluid from your pad.
4. Take one of your newly created labels and place it face down on your stamp. Press it down to make sure that you get the best coverage possible, as that thin layer of black cardstock does create a ridge and therefore a empty air space.
5. Gently release the card stock from your stamp, if it sticks. With your tweezers pick up your stamped label by the smallest area you can along its edge.
6. Shake the jar of your chosen powder while the lid is still secure. Pour your embossing powder on top of your stamped label. (make sure that you have a piece of plain paper underneath to catch all of the excess).
7. Pour the extra powder back into its jar and then activate the powder on your label with your heat tool.
8. Peel off the paper from the double sided tape that you already attached to the lid of your Embossing powder. Place your label onto the lid, face up, and press down with your finger to secure it there.
Wala! you have one done!!!Now, keep going…. you are doing great!
9. BONUS: watch the end of the video to see how I labeled my WOW! SPARKLES 😀.
Thank you for joining me today. I look forward to our next mixed media adventure together on March 20th.
SAVE 10% on you WOW! product orders during 2021 with coupon code: WOWDTNB
Affiliate SHOP links:
An Art Adventures With Alice book update!
Hello to all of my wonderful supporters!
You orders are getting ready to travel to your homes!!! YEAH!
This has been such a wonderful adventure & I am so very glad that you decided to join me on it.
It is not over though… lol…. as we have a VIRTUAL Mad Hatter Tea Party to look forward to at 2pm PST on May 21, 2021. This date just happens to me the International Day of Tea, how fitting 🙂 . (If for any reason you cannot attend, I will do my best to record (then edit) a few moments of the event for a later viewing. I will make sure that the editing version only shows myself, as many of you may not wish to be on camera & I would never do that to you on purpose. Please do note the if I am unable to record & then edit the video, I will try and take a few photos.). I will email all of you that are registered the virtual event link a few days before it takes place. Please NOTE: That this will be a PRIVATE event for anyone that pre-ordered a copy of ART ADVENTURES WITH ALICE. (If you are waiting for a copy of this book that you have already paid me for, then you are registered for this virtual event.)
As for your fantastical physical goodies, they have taken over our dining room for the past week and we have been eating off of TV tables…lol. I was going to start mailing them tomorrow, but I am just waiting for a couple more address confirmations and my tool for measuring the exact size and weight of each parcel 😉 .
Therefore, for all of you that have ordered a copy of ART ADVENTURES WITH ALICE, your goodies will be off to the Canada Post office this coming Monday & Tuesday. Yahoo!!!
I cannot wait for you to receive them and look forward to sharing more news soon on my next project that will begin crowdfunding at the end of this month.
If you MISSED OUT on this printing, please stay tuned, as you will have another chance soon. Thank you
Keep smiling & creating my lovelies,
Have you ever tried painting using your beverage as the medium?
In Today’s Art Adventure we are doing just that.
Go ahead and grab a cup of cold black coffee from the pot you made this morning.
No, seriously, go get some and I will meet you right back here 🙂
I’ll wait 😉
You’re back! Great!
For this adventure you will also require:
STEP #1: Begin by stamping or writing your ‘ART CAFE’ letters onto the top of you page with WOW! Embossing fluid.
STEP #2: Sprinkle on your ‘IN THE NAVY’ embossing powder, tap off the excess & heat set with your het tool as directed.
STEP #3: Apply your coffee in the same manner that you would if using watercolour paints. Make sure that you let it dry between coats to build up your colour layers. TIP: If you use coffee that has been saved in a clean mug for a couple of days, the colour will be darker than it is with fresh cold coffee. (Do not use coffee that has any additives, such as sugar or cream, etc.)
STEP #4: Apply some clean water around your embossed letters and then add your chosen watercolour. I used Cobalt Teal by QOR.
STEP #5: After you let the watercolour sit on your page for a couple of minutes, dab off the excess with a clean piece of paper towel or painting cloth.
STEP #6: Using your favourite water resistant black fine liners or pens, doodle overtop of your coffee painting to bring out some of the details.
STEP #7: You can now add in some extra embellishments into your coffee painting with your WOW! Embossing powders. I used ‘Judith’s Blush’ on the characters cheeks, ‘Diana’s Love’ in the hearts & toadstools, and ‘Gitty’s Power’ on the March Hare & in the Red Queens hair.
STEP #8: With the Embossing Pen & ‘Ulla’s Cognac’ I added a variety of hearts into the background.
STEP #9: Since we are in the Month of LOVE (Valentine’s) I decided to add a large heart in the ‘heart’ of the coffee spiral with ‘Diana’s Love” along with one of the heart stamps from Marion Emberson’s Stamp Set ‘Layered Hearts’.
Thank you for joining me for a cup of coffee.
Keep smiling & creating,
SAVE 10% with this DISCOUNT CODE on your WOW! product order: ‘WOWDTNB’
Wow! PRODUCTS used in this video:
Today is the day! I received all the signed model forms back, obtained my ISBN number and placed my first BIG order of ‘Art Adventures With Alice‘!
I also placed an order for Alice ART PRINTS, a sample COLOURING BOOK & 3 large (A4) collage sheets!!!
I want to test our the colouring book first to see if the uncoated 100lb pages can stand up mixed media creations. 😉
If the shipment delivery is on time, I should receive the order on February 25th. Then I can package up your order (+ secret extra goodies) and begin mailing you your orders during the first week of March!!! YEAH!
You can still PRE-ORDER your copy of ART ADVENTURES WITH ALICE until this Friday at 5pm PST.
After that your will have to wait until I launch my next book to place your orders.
Don’t be late!