About The ARTIST
From a young age Nicci has been in ‘creation mode’.
Nicci Battilana, also known as Nicci Dot C A, is a mixed media artist who creates colourful and playful portraits of what she calls her “Girlz”. The Girlz are doll-like characters with bold features, and each has their own quirky (and sometimes outlandish) personality. Nicci’s work can be seen on greeting cards, prints, clothing (yoga pants & t’s), bags, mailboxes, doors, and more!
Nicci is a whimsical Artist, Art Retreat Organizer, Art Teacher and Host to the online community known on facebook as ‘Art Journal Junkies. As of July 2020, Art Journal Junkies is proud to have 14,723 creative members sharing their journal work, art spaces pics and favorite supply lists. Nicci has been working in art journals for over 14 years & has loved every minute of it. “How else can you play freely, bare your soul, experiment with new techniques & practice, practice, practice….but in an art journal?” – Nicci Battilana
When asked to describe her artistic style, Nicci responded with “I say mixed media with no ‘rules’, but maybe the true definition should be something like …. a mix of Disney like female characters drenched in Kool-Aid, add a dash of Tim Burton and a wack load of thick black eyeliner…. Ha ha. ”
When she is not hanging out with her Art Journal Jam tribe in White Rock, BC, Canada, or organizing an local community Artsy event, she is busy creating in her home studio.
Acrylic paint is Nicci’s number one favorite medium. Next, she love using Caran D’ache watercolour crayons as a team with her finger tips. They are a great tool for bringing her acrylic art to life! Plus, Nicci loves using GLITTER in her work. She does use it a lot less than she used to, but she still loves it… along with Swarovski crystals. All Girlz need a little bling, even the creepy ones.
2019 Feb 20 – Mar 20: Instructors Art Showcase in the Turnbull Gallery at the South Surrey Rec Centre #semiahmooarts #art #southsurrey
2019 May 1-30: Large exterior Window Display at the South Surrey Rec Centre #semiahmooarts #art #southsurrey
2019 Sep 27 – Oct 26: Metis Arts Fest at the Plasket Gallery/Massey Theatre in New Westminster (735 Eighth Ave, New Westminster, BC, Canada)
2017 June – November: Solo Artist showcase at Menchies in South Surrey, BC, Canada.
2016 October: Month long display at the Semiahmoo Art Societies POP UP location in White Rock, BC.
2016 May: Month long solo showcase at the Good Day Sunshine Cafe.
2013 June: ‘Art Happens’ ~ An Exploration in Art Journaling Group Show ~ Good Day Sunshine Cafe, High Street, South Surrey.
Welcome to Nicci’s Community Endevours!
Nicci believes in helping out wherever you can. In regards to helping raise money for those in need she regularly donates art for Breast Cancer Research (Bras for a Cause and Nite of Hope), takes part in an annual art challenge/public auction for the benefit of the Art Therapy Program in the BC Children’s Hospital on the last Sunday in September, and holds art sessions for local Brownie Troops so that they may earn their ‘Artist’ badge. Annually Nicci also donates a portion of the door proceeds raised at the Creative Finds Marketplace, which is a fantastic event she organizes and holds every mid-November in Surrey, BC.
From The ARTIST
I have always loved art. My earliest memory of discovering the diversity of art was in kindergarten when they had us place a leaf on a piece of paper. We then suspended mesh above it, and ran a large paint filled paint brush across the top of the mesh. Once we were satisfied with our amount of colours and paint we removed the leaf and were left with a wonderful piece of art that was no longer just a plain blank sheet of paper.
My interest in the arts continued all through grade school to present day. I believe my parents must have silently cringed as a collection of 70’s “string art” began taking over our family room in the late Seventies.
A love for painting on clothing began in the mid Eighties in Junior High School. We were given the general sheet of paper or poster board to work on, yet I preferred working on denim jackets and t-shirts. I did not want to create art pieces on paper that would end up being filed away in a school storage room drawer once completed (or worse yet..the trash can due to limited space availability). I wanted my art to live out loud in the world and by creating functional art I believe that I succeeded.
I am always on the lookout for my new “leaf”. Right now I am surrounded by a vast collection of ‘My Girlz’ stemming from use with acrylics, water colours, pastels, stamps, glitter, etc. Visit my events and online store to adopt a ‘Glitzy Gal Girl’ of your own!
The birth of my son had a very strong impact on the pursuit of quality in my work and the pride I take from it. I believe we should all be able to do what we love in some aspect of our lives. Since his arrival into our family, I have been able to break down my previous inhibitions and put my art out into the world. I am therefore happy to state that I am a PROUD Canadian Artist living on the outskirts of Vancouver in beautiful South Surrey, B.C.!
- I want to say thank you for your live stream. First time in a very long time to feel connected. You are very fun!! ~ S.F. (July 2020)
- Hey, Nicci, I just wanted to so THANK YOU SO MUCH for going live and sharing your talent so regularly, frequently and candidly. It is so very generous of you and I am enjoying it so much. I have to say, you are my very FAVOURITE ARTIST to watch online these days. I love how genuine and real you are, and how ‘unedited’ you are. I’m hoping that by ‘hanging out’ with you I will become more creative. Even if just a little. ~ E.C. (April 2020)
- “I never thought I would be able to draw but by taking one of Nicci’s classes I actually made something I was proud of. It was also lots of fun and Nicci was very patient with all of us. I learned so much.” – Almost an Artist, Lorna
- Nicci created a well-planned and interactive Graphics Writer workshop for our grade three students. The students were engaged throughout the workshop learning the art, skill, and power of being a graphic story author. The students were proud of their success in writing their very own graphic story using this creative and fun skill. It gave them another meaningful and artistic tool to use when creating a story. Nicci’s talent sure rubbed off on our students! – Cindy K ~ Grade 3 Private School Teacher
- Nicci is a fabulous teacher! She was very informative about specific techniques and styles, and was thorough in her explanations. She provided great examples and detailed lesson plans for each class. In addition, Nicci was such a positive and upbeat instructor that I hired her to host my tween’s birthday party and it was a huge success! – Louise & Elliot
- “I just wanted to let you know that after your 31 Days of Halloween challenge, I AM a journaler now!! I have been wanting to do this for such a long time and was always intimidated. Because of you, I found my “groove” and love creating in my journal now which has become thick, lol. Thank you for sharing what you do and for helping me to be an even better artist! xoxo ” – Rhonda (Dec 2014)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Supporting the Arts
For those who wish to support me in my creative endeavours, but not subscribe to my Patreon Page, I have created a button for you.
I know that many people out there appreciate and understand how much art can effect our lives in a positive way. Donations are never expected, but very mush appreciated when they do come my way. Much thanks and love.