About The ARTIST
From a young age Nicci has been in ‘creation mode’.
Nicci Battilana, also known as Nicci Dot C A, is a mixed media Artist, Author and PaperArtsy Designer.
"Hi, I’m Nicci, a Canadian Mixed Media Artist who creates colourful & playful portraits of big eyed characters with bold features. BOLD & BRIGHT is BEAUTIFUL! My art style is a mix of pop-art, cartoon-like creatures drenched in Kool-Aid with a dash of Tim Burton and a wack load of thick black eyeliner....lol. I spend most of my creative time working in my art journals, designing art stamps/stencils for PaperArtsy and teaching. During my time off from work in 2020/2021, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, I decided to achieve one of my dreams. I have created & self-published an Art Tutorial Book and a working art journal with prompts themed on the fabulous story by Lewis Carroll, Alice In Wonderland. Currently AVAILABLE in my ETSY SHOP and as well as on AMAZON. This new world we are in has given me the opportunity to go after what I have dreamt of for years. We only get one ride on this merry-go-round of life and it is up to us to make the most of it. Therefore I will do the best I can with mine and invite you along for the ride! I wonder what other whimsical books are on my horizon.....? Follow me to find out! " www.nicci.ca @niccidotca www.nicci.tv
Nicci is a whimsical Artist, Art Retreat Organizer, Art Teacher and Host to the online community known on facebook as ‘Art Journal Junkies. As of Nov 2021, Art Journal Junkies is proud to have 14,308 creative members sharing their journal work, art spaces pics and favorite supply lists. Nicci has been working in art journals for over 15 years & has loved every minute of it. “How else can you play freely, bare your soul, experiment with new techniques & practice, practice, practice….but in an art journal?” – Nicci Battilana
2024 June: Landmark Pop-Up in White Rock, BC (Central Plaza, 15140 North Bluff Road, White Rock.)
2023 Oct 26 – Nov 7: Big Eyed Art Adventures at The Nomad Gallery in White Rock, BC
2019 Feb 20 – Mar 20: Instructors Art Showcase in the Turnbull Gallery at the South Surrey Rec Centre #semiahmooarts #art #southsurrey
2019 May 1-30: Large exterior Window Display at the South Surrey Rec Centre #semiahmooarts #art #southsurrey
2019 Sep 27 – Oct 26: Metis Arts Fest at the Plasket Gallery/Massey Theatre in New Westminster (735 Eighth Ave, New Westminster, BC, Canada)
2017 June – November: Solo Artist showcase at Menchies in South Surrey, BC, Canada.
2016 October: Month long display at the Semiahmoo Art Societies POP UP location in White Rock, BC.
2016 May: Month long solo showcase at the Good Day Sunshine Cafe.
2013 June: ‘Art Happens’ ~ An Exploration in Art Journaling Group Show ~ Good Day Sunshine Cafe, High Street, South Surrey.
Welcome to Nicci’s Community Endevours!
Nicci believes in helping out wherever you can. In regards to helping raise money for those in need she regularly donates art for Breast Cancer Research (Bras for a Cause and Nite of Hope), takes part in an annual art challenge/public auction for the benefit of the Art Therapy Program in the BC Children’s Hospital on the last Sunday in September, and holds art sessions for local Brownie Troops so that they may earn their ‘Artist’ badge. Annually Nicci also donates a portion of the door proceeds raised at the Creative Finds Marketplace, which is a fantastic event she organizes and holds every mid-November in Surrey, BC.
From The ARTIST
I have always loved art. My earliest memory of discovering the diversity of art was in kindergarten when they had us place a leaf on a piece of paper. We then suspended mesh above it, and ran a large paint filled paint brush across the top of the mesh. Once we were satisfied with our amount of colours and paint we removed the leaf and were left with a wonderful piece of art that was no longer just a plain blank sheet of paper.
My interest in the arts continued all through grade school to present day. I believe my parents must have silently cringed as a collection of 70’s “string art” began taking over our family room in the late Seventies.
A love for painting on clothing began in the mid Eighties in Junior High School. We were given the general sheet of paper or poster board to work on, yet I preferred working on denim jackets and t-shirts. I did not want to create art pieces on paper that would end up being filed away in a school storage room drawer once completed (or worse yet..the trash can due to limited space availability). I wanted my art to live out loud in the world and by creating functional art I believe that I succeeded.
I am always on the lookout for my new “leaf”. Right now I am surrounded by a vast collection of ‘My Girlz’ stemming from use with acrylics, water colours, pastels, stamps, glitter, etc. Visit my events and online store to adopt a ‘Glitzy Gal Girl’ of your own!
The birth of my son had a very strong impact on the pursuit of quality in my work and the pride I take from it. I believe we should all be able to do what we love in some aspect of our lives. Since his arrival into our family, I have been able to break down my previous inhibitions and put my art out into the world. I am therefore happy to state that I am a PROUD Canadian Artist living on the outskirts of Vancouver in beautiful South Surrey, B.C.!
- I want to say thank you for your live stream. First time in a very long time to feel connected. You are very fun!! ~ S.F. (July 2020)
- Hey, Nicci, I just wanted to so THANK YOU SO MUCH for going live and sharing your talent so regularly, frequently and candidly. It is so very generous of you and I am enjoying it so much. I have to say, you are my very FAVOURITE ARTIST to watch online these days. I love how genuine and real you are, and how ‘unedited’ you are. I’m hoping that by ‘hanging out’ with you I will become more creative. Even if just a little. ~ E.C. (April 2020)
- “I never thought I would be able to draw but by taking one of Nicci’s classes I actually made something I was proud of. It was also lots of fun and Nicci was very patient with all of us. I learned so much.” – Almost an Artist, Lorna
- Nicci created a well-planned and interactive Graphics Writer workshop for our grade three students. The students were engaged throughout the workshop learning the art, skill, and power of being a graphic story author. The students were proud of their success in writing their very own graphic story using this creative and fun skill. It gave them another meaningful and artistic tool to use when creating a story. Nicci’s talent sure rubbed off on our students! – Cindy K ~ Grade 3 Private School Teacher
- Nicci is a fabulous teacher! She was very informative about specific techniques and styles, and was thorough in her explanations. She provided great examples and detailed lesson plans for each class. In addition, Nicci was such a positive and upbeat instructor that I hired her to host my tween’s birthday party and it was a huge success! – Louise & Elliot
- “I just wanted to let you know that after your 31 Days of Halloween challenge, I AM a journaler now!! I have been wanting to do this for such a long time and was always intimidated. Because of you, I found my “groove” and love creating in my journal now which has become thick, lol. Thank you for sharing what you do and for helping me to be an even better artist! xoxo ” – Rhonda (Dec 2014)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Supporting the Arts
For those who wish to support me in my creative endeavours, but not subscribe to my Patreon Page, I have created a button for you.
I know that many people out there appreciate and understand how much art can effect our lives in a positive way. Donations are never expected, but very mush appreciated when they do come my way. Much thanks and love.